Short bursts of exercise, particularly if it’s the right combination of weight bearing and aerobic movement, can achieve excellent results. It’s a brilliant alternative for very busy people wanting to achieve and maintain wellbeing.
You don’t even need equipment! A high intensity workout that combines strength training, involving muscle contraction and cardio, to boost heart rate and oxygen consumption, can be achieved using your body weight to provide resistance!
This proven program of twelve simple exercises, each taking 30 seconds with a 10-second rest in between, takes just eight minutes to complete. And who can honestly claim they can’t find just eight minutes to exercise every day!
Here’s what you do.
- Run on the spot with knees high for 30 seconds…then rest for 10 seconds
- Jumping jacks for 30 seconds…and rest for 10
- Jumping squats bending your knees for 30 seconds. …take a break for 10
- Push ups for 30 seconds with a straight back (knees on the floor if needed)….and rest again
- Lie on your back for 30 seconds and do bicycle crunches moving your elbows to your knees…break for 10
- Burpees for 30 seconds – kicking your feet back into a push up position before jumping into the air…rest for 10
- Now sit on the floor lift your feet and twist your core as far as you can to each side for 30 seconds….and take another break for 10
- Step-ups onto a chair or step for 30 seconds…rest for 10
- Mountain climbers for 30 seconds, with straight arms in a push up position, step forward with you legs increasing the speed if you can… and break for 10
- Plank for 30 seconds or two for 15 seconds each…and rest for 10
- Lunges for 30 seconds with a straight back and engaged core…and take a break for 10
- Lean up against the wall and slide down into a sitting position, holding it for 30 seconds….and you’re finished.