Struggling to stick to your New Year’s resolutions already?
Our 10 top tips are designed to help you stay on track.
- Set realistic goals – It’s difficult to achieve unrealistic goals so make yours attainable!
- Plan ahead – Setting small tasks can help keep you motivated, organised and on track to achieving your bigger goal.
- Think positively – Practice visualisation techniques …see yourself achieving your goals. Maintaining a positive mindset will help you get there! If you experience a setback see it as an opportunity to improve next time. Don’t give up!
- List the pros and cons – What are all the great things that could happen if you achieve your goals? What are the negative things that may occur if you don’t? This will help keep you motivated and will remind you why you started.
- Tell people! – You’ll feel more accountable if you tell people about your goals. Friends and family can also support you through the more difficult times.
- Reward yourself – When you reach a key milestone reward yourself by doing something that you love. This could be as simple as going out for a healthy (but delicious) lunch with friends or purchasing an item you’ve been wanting for ages.
- Record your progress – You can easily see how far you’ve come if you write down the small things you achieve along the way. Looking back at how far you’ve come can really help keep you motivated and will give you a sense of achievement.
- Forgive yourself – If you slip-up, don’t beat yourself up or quit. Just remember, nothing worth having comes easily!
- Don’t give up – If you persevere small positive changes will eventually become habits. It won’t happen automatically, so keep going!
- Don’t be afraid to start again – If you completely lose your way recommit yourself for 24 hours. Then for another 24 … and another. Before you know it you’ll be back on track.