How do you get enough protein? If you are a vegetarian, you might hear this question a lot. While protein is most commonly found in meat, it is also a key component in many types of plants and grains. Protein helps to build muscles and decrease your recovery time after a hard workout.
The Hopewood lifestyle helps you get enough nutrients and protein with their easy-to-follow recipes. Here are some protein rich ingredients commonly used in our delicious vegetarian dishes:
1. Lentils: these legumes are perfect for a soup or tossed into a crockpot for a quick dinner.
2. Flaxseed: add them to a smoothie in the morning or include them in your baking for an additional protein boost.
3. Chia seeds: these gluten free seeds are often classified as a ‘superfood’ due to their high amount of protein, fibre and Omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Quinoa: a perfect substitute to your rice or couscous! Quinoa contains far more protein as well as nine amino acids.
5. Nuts: almonds top the list with the highest protein followed by pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts and cashews. Nuts are a perfect addition to salad, or blended into nut butter.
6. Soy: soy is found in many foods including soymilk, tofu and edamame and is a great source of protein.
7: Dark, leafy greens: spinach and kale have a surprising amount of protein. Include them in a side salad or part of your main dish.
8. Beans: red, black, white – they’re all good! Beans are high in protein and are a very flexible cooking ingredient. Add them to soups, salads or casseroles!