Hopewood agrees wholeheartedly with the old adage “you are what you eat”! We believe food is our medicine. Our abundant experience demonstrates that fresh natural food, in a predominantly ovo-lacto vegetarian diet, is the best way to achieve and maintain wellbeing.
There are many benefits to being a vegetarian. Hopewood’s vegetarian food plan is nutritious, cleansing and delicious…..for three main reasons:
- It’s low in fats and oils
- It’s low in animal protein, and
- It’s rich in health promoting/disease preventing micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants & other phytonutrients).
We recommend that your diet consists of:
- 60%-70% fresh fruit and vegetables.
- 20-25% complex carbohydrates (depending on energy requirements regarding exercise).
- 10-15% concentrated protein.
Hopewood also recommends you generally avoid stimulants, fats and oils, refined and processed foods, dairy products in large amounts, salt and high salt foods, artificial colourings flavourings and preservatives.
Easy tips to start your Hopewood diet:
- Increase fibre in the diet, especially leafy greens, whole grains and brown rice.
- Restrict dressings, especially fats and avocado, if body fat is a problem.
- Drink plenty of purified water, juices and herbal teas each day.
- Chew your food well, as this improves digestion and stimulates the bowel.
- While we do suggest 60% of your diet should be eaten raw, not everyone can comfortably eat this volume of raw food at first, particularly if your digestive system is stressed and tired. Try starting with soups and steamed vegetable. Do this until the digestive system is working more optimally to digest a greater proportion of raw food.
There is an abundance of tasty and healthy recipes available on our website and in our limited edition recipe and lifestyle book (found in the ‘Shop’ section of this website).