Hopewood recommends a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and some protein in order to live a healthy and balanced life. Eating well doesn’t have to be boring. Try these five satisfying snacks to beat those 3pm stomach rumbles…
1. Hummus – Packed with protein and fibre, hummus is a great snack for any time of the day. Pair it with fresh veggies such as carrots, cucumber or capsicum, or if you prefer something crunchier, try rice crackers.
2. Hard boiled eggs – Hard-boiled eggs are a convenient, protein packed snack. Eat them just as they are or slice them up and serve on top of some rice crackers.
3. Juice – Juices are great snack ideas because they can be prepared ahead of time and consumed on the go. Depending on ingredients used (and you can juice pretty much anything), your juice can be as light or as filling as you like.
4. Greek yoghurt – Greek yoghurt is high in protein and low in sugar, which makes it a perfectly filling snack. You might like to pair it with some fruit, trail mix or granola for added crunch that will definitely keep you full between meals.
5. Apple and nut butter – Full of fibre and mono-unsaturated fats, this snack is the ultimate iconic duo. Cutting up an apple and dipping it in natural nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew) is a healthy sweet treat. For something more filling, try sliced apple and nut butter on top of rice crackers.