Life has a tendency to get away from us and we can forget to take even the simple steps in maintaining our wellbeing. For example getting a quality nights sleep is one of the most important things you can do to help with concentration, memory and irritability.
However sometimes it can be hard to switch off and fall into a deep sleep. You may find you are lying in bed thinking about your day, what you need to do tomorrow and anything else that pops into your mind.
If this sounds like you it might be time to give meditation a go. Meditation is simple and easy to do and is considered a natural sleep aid. It’s a great way to get in touch with your thoughts and feelings while connecting to your body.
There are plenty of guided meditation apps your can download – like Headspace and Calm – or you can do a self-guided meditation using music, candles and dimming the lights. The best part about mediation is there are no rules on how you should do it, just what feels right for you.
Here are some tips on how to get the best out of your meditation:
• The most important thing in meditation is consistency. So set regular days and times where you will meditate.
• We recommend starting off by meditating for just 3-5 minutes a day. Once you are comfortable you can increase this by a couple of minutes at a time.
• To help with sleep we recommend you meditate before bed to quiet your mind and prepare your body for a good night’s rest.
Why meditating is good for you
• It relieves physical tension and helps you find your calm and focus
• It doesn’t take much of your time
• Meditating in the morning will help you clear your mind for the day ahead
• Meditating at night will help you separate your mind from the day’s stresses
So before going to bed tonight – why not try it? We are sure you will wake up more refreshed and ready for tomorrow!