• 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 500ml of Hopewood vegetable stock
• The whites of 3 to 4 young leeks cut into rings
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 teaspoon of turmeric
• 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
• 1 generous strip of orange rind
• 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
• 1 tablespoon of parsley
• 1 egg yolk
1. Place the stock in a large saucepan on the stove. Add the potatoes, cook until soft and then mash until smooth.
2. Separately cook the leeks in the olive oil add the strip of orange rind, turmeric and fennel seeds and cook until the leeks are soft and golden.
3. Combine the mashed potatoes with the leeks.
4. Mix the egg yolk and nutmeg together before mixing it through the mash, adding the parsley until everything is combined. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Place in a pie or low baking dish and top with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
6. Warm through in the oven at 180 degrees until the cheese is golden and serve. Delicious with a fresh lettuce salad on the side!