Enjoy a rustic, vegetable-filled pie inspired by the Mediterranean this winter. Serves six people.
• 2 vegetable stock cubes
• 2 cups of boiling water
• 1 cup pumpkin (peeled and chopped)
• 1 cup of broccoli (chopped into florets)
• 1 cup cauliflower (choppedinto florets)
• 1 cup carrots (peeled and chopped)
• 800g (two cans) of four bean mix
• 200g peas
• 2 slices pita bread
• 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 100g feta
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 egg
• Salt and pepper to season
• 1 teaspoon nutmeg
• Preheat your oven to 220C.
• Add the two stock cubes to boiling water and combine.
• Prepare the pumpkin, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli.
• Add the pumpkin to the stock, cover and cook, over medium-high heat, for five minutes.
• Meanwhile, tear the pitas into bite-sized pieces and prepare the garlic. Combine these in a bowl with the olive oil and feta.
• Add the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to the stock and cook uncovered for three minutes.
• Add the peas and cook for another two minutes, or until the vegetables are tender then remove from heat, drain and reserve approximately ¼ cup of stock.
• Drain and rinse the mixed beans then blend with the reserved stock, mustard and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
• Add the vegetables to the bean puree and stir gently to combine.
• Spoon the vegetable and bean mixture into a medium sized casserole or baking dish and scatter the pita across the top.
• Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the topping becomes crisp and golden and the filling is set.
Serve and enjoy!