It’s that time of year again and we’re all in summer holiday mode but please be careful as the bugs and mozzies will be out in force.
While having your wide brim hat, sunblock and sunglasses will help protect you against the harsh rays of the sun, what about those bugs?
Most people will likely have used, at one point or another, some form of artificial and toxic insect repellent. However, what most people don’t realise how easy it is to make your own with just a few natural substances.
Follow this simple recipe to create your own non-toxic anti-insect repellent
• 15 drops of eucalyptus oil
• 15 drops of lavender oil
• 12 drops of tea tree oil
• 25 drops of peppermint oil
• ¼ cup of boiled water
• 1 teaspoon of witch hazel
• 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil
• Choose a bottle for your repellent (keep in mind when working with essential oils, a dark coloured bottle is recommended).
• Combine all of the above ingredients and shake well before each use.
It is important to avoid contact with your eyes and ensure the essential oils you use are 100% pure therapeutic grade. Also, when enjoying the summer sun and soaking up some vitamin D, make sure you wear a hat and apply a high SPF sunscreen regularly.