The individual spices that make up Cajun seasoning blends are known to possess a range of benefits. Cajun spice will usually include a blend of ingredients such as white pepper and salt, paprika, onion, cayenne, turmeric, along with herbs like oregano and thyme.
Though small in quantity, there are several nutrients that can be found in Cajun spice:
• Vitamins: Garlic powder is a good source of vitamin B-6 while paprika provides significant amounts of vitamin A. Onion powder provides a small amount of vitamin C. Cajun contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin E.
• Minerals: Iron can be found in both white pepper and paprika, with paprika also providing magnesium. Cajun contains potassium, manganese, and flavonoids (powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories).
• Fibre: Onion powder, white pepper, and paprika are all good sources of dietary fibre.
With this in mind, why not try the delicious and healthy Cajun recipe from our book, lifestyle – Hopewood’s recipe for wellbeing
CAJUN PATTIES WITH AVOCADO SALSA: Serves 4-6
• 2 cups of cooked red kidney beans
• 1 large potato cut into small cubes
• ½ a sweet potato cut into small cubes
• 1 large carrot cut into small cubes
• 1 bunch of chives
• 1 tablespoon of chopped up fresh coriander
• 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon Cajun spice mix
Dice the salsa ingredients very fine and mix together. Place a tablespoon of the salsa on top of each Cajun pattie before serving.