We put a lot of focus on what we put on and in our bodies, but it is just as important to be aware of the chemicals and ingredients used to you clean your home with.
From being more affordable, to understanding and trusting the ingredients you’re using, there are many positive reasons to include natural, DIY cleaners into your house keeping routine, for example:
• Natural cleaning products yield better air quality, eliminating harmful VOCs
• There is little to no danger if inhaled or if they come into contact with skin
• They help reduce pollution to waterways and air
• They are safer
• They empower you to know exactly what is in your cleaner
If the idea of making your own cleaning solutions seems tedious, it needn’t be. Below we share the recipe for one of our favourite “all purpose cleaners” – and it’s super easy to make. You simply combine all of the ingredients in a container. Plus, you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry. So, before you reach for those harsh chemicals, give this eco, DIY cleaner a try.
In a spray bottle, mix:
• 1 part water
• 1 part white vinegar
• 12-15 drops of essential oil – optional (lavender or citrus are great options)
• Spray this solution onto a soft, clean cloth, and use on almost any surface.
By using white vinegar as your base, you are starting with a natural cleaner that is effective against bacteria and mould. However, be sure leave out the vinegar if you have granite countertops as it can cause etching or pitting. Replace with bi-carb soda.
Note: If you don’t use essential oil, you won’t have the fresh scent, but the cleaner will still work just as effectively.
We recommend making up a new cleaner each week if you can.