The Kakadu plum, also known as Bush Plum, Billygoat Plum, Gubinge, Murunga or Kabiny Plum “has the highest recorded levels of Vitamin C of any fruit in the world, measuring up to 100 times the Vitamin C content found in an orange.” This exceptional Australian native superfood has been fundamental for both its nutritional and medicinal benefits for millennia throughout northern Australia.
Below we share some of the top reasons why Kakadu plums are one of the best kept secrets of the Northern Territory.
• Health Benefits
- The highest recorded levels of Vitamin C of any fruit in the world.
- One gram of freeze-dried Kakadu Plum is equivalent to the Vitamin C found in a whole orange.
- The sap of the Kakadu Plum tree contains natural antiseptic which has been used to treat burns, rashes and infections. It also contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
- Kakadu Plums have 5.2 times more antioxidants than blueberries.
- Due to its extraordinarily anti-oxidant levels, the Kakadu Plum is believed to provide a promising treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Kakadu Plums are also a rich source of iron and Vitamin E, containing roughly the same amount of folate found in broccoli.
• Location and preparation
- The Kakadu Plum originates in the Northern Territory regions of Australia.
- The fruit is often freeze-dried and packaged for distribution around Australia and internationally.
- To achieve the maximum health benefits this fruit has to offer, it’s best consumed raw.
- Kakadu Plum oil is another fantastic product. If can be used as a food topping, in air humidifiers, to reduce acne, skin irritations, skin sensitivities or it’s also great as a natural cleanser/toner.
- Easily purchased online through a number of health and wellbeing websites, the Kakadu Plum could be your next favourite!
Keep an eye out for our new delicious Kakadu Plum morning booster juice recipe coming soon!