In addition to smelling great, citrus fruits can give you brighter and younger looking skin. They have high amounts of Vitamin C which has anti-aging benefits.
Collagen helps to strengthen your skin and maintain its elasticity, keeping your skin looking youthful. Vitamin C can help to restore collagen. This is especially important as we age as the collagen in our skin decreases.
Here are some ideas to incorporate more citrus in your diet:
• Squeeze half a lemon into a glass of water and drink in the morning.
• Have an orange, mandarin or grapefruit as a snack (you can add yoghurt to balance the tart flavour).
• Add orange or grapefruit segments to your salad.
• Use fresh oranges, grapefruits and/or lemons to make your own juice.
• Make a lemon and honey tea – squeeze half a lemon and add a teaspoon of honey into hot water.
While citrus fruits are good for you, be careful with the amount you consume. As citrus fruits are acidic, large amounts can erode the enamel on your teeth.
Enjoying citrus fruits is a natural and delicious way to look after your skin.