If your hands are feeling a bit dry and chaffed after gardening, washing or daily life, here are three different hand treatments you can try. They’re all based on some staple kitchen ingredients and will help your hands feel velvetier and smoother. Don’t use these if you have any nicks or cuts and try a test sample before you fully immerse your hands for any length of time.
Avocados are full of fatty acids and vitamins C and E which can aid in skin repair and soothe dry skin. The nutrients present in avocados can improve skin tone. Combined with almond oil and coconut oil this hand treatment will provide a smoothing and softening effect.
– Ingredients: Half a ripe avocado, 1 teaspoon of almond oil, 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice.
– Method: Combine the ingredients in a blender or mash them up well in a bowl. Spread the mixture over your hands, leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse off your hands with room temperature water. Dry hands thoroughly by patting them with a soft towel and apply moisturiser.
Potatoes are rich in zinc which is an essential nutrient for scar healing and soothing inflammation. They have a high iron content which promotes a healthy, and radiant complexion, they also contain azelaic acid which acts as a natural skin brightening agent.
– Ingredients: 1 small potato, 1 teaspoon olive oil
– Method: Peel and boil the potato and then let it cool. Mash it up with a fork, and then mix well with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Apply it to your hands and leave on for 10 minutes. Rub gently to remove then rinse off the remainder with lukewarm water, pat skin dry with a soft towel.
Apple cider vinegar
This soak helps restore the slightly acidic pH balance to the skin, so it retains moisture more effectively. It will also soften and exfoliate dead, cracked layers of dry skin so moisture can reach the healthy skin cells. In addition, olive oil hydrates the skin and soothes chapping, while its polyphenol antioxidants promote healthy cell turnover.
– Ingredients: 2 cups warm water, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil
– Method: Mix ingredients together in a large bowl. Place your hands in the bowl and soak for 10 minutes. Remove your hands, pat dry with a soft towel and apply moisturizing hand cream.