Embark on a culinary journey to Brazil by preparing this homemade Brazilian spice blend. Brazilian cuisine is known for its vibrant and flavourful dishes that captivate the taste buds. To infuse your recipes with the essence of Brazil, why not try making your own Brazilian spice blend at home? This aromatic blend of herbs and spices will add a touch of Brazilian flair to your cooking.
Let’s explore a simple and versatile recipe for a homemade Brazilian spice blend and discover how to use it in your favourite dishes.
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly until well combined. Ensure that there are no clumps and that all the spices are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the Brazilian spice blend to an airtight container or glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store in a cool, dark place to preserve its flavour and aroma. It will generally stay fresh for several months.
Now you have your homemade Brazilian spice blend ready, here are a few ideas on how to use it:
- Rice and beans – Add a teaspoon or two of the Brazilian spice blend to your pot of rice and beans while they cook. The spices will elevate the flavours of this classic Brazilian staple, giving it a distinctive and savoury taste.
- Roasted vegetables – Toss your favourite vegetables, such as bell peppers, zucchini, or sweet potatoes, with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of the Brazilian spice blend. Roast them in the oven until tender and golden, creating a flavourful side dish.
- Seasoning for soups and stews – Enhance the flavour profile of your soups, stews, and sauces by incorporating the Brazilian spice blend. Add a teaspoon or more to your recipes, adjusting the quantity to suit your taste preferences.
- Seasoning for dips and spreads – Mix a teaspoon of the Brazilian spice blend into sour cream, Greek yogurt, or cream cheese to create a flavourful dip or spread for bread, crackers, or vegetable sticks.
Feel free to experiment with the quantities of spice you use and customise the blend according to your preferences. Adjust it to suit your desired level of heat or specific flavour profile.