We all have experiences where we feel hurt or let down by others. It’s normal to feel anger or resentment but it’s important that we don’t hold onto these feelings and let them fester. This can raise our stress and blood pressure levels which can increase our risk of health issues such as heart disease, diabetes and depression. Forgiveness can help us to let go of the negative feelings and improve our health.
True forgiveness isn’t just saying ‘I forgive you’ – it’s about choosing to release the negative feelings toward the person you feel has wronged you. Forgiveness can offer the following benefits:
• Lower levels of stress and anxiety
• Improved mental health
• Reduced blood pressure
• Better sleep
• Improved relationships with others
• Allow you to become more empathetic and compassionate.
It’s not always easy to forgive others. Here are some things to remember:
• No one is perfect and we all make mistakes
• Forgiveness is for you – it can help to bring you peace
• By letting go, you can focus on the present instead of dwelling on the past.