Today is World Mental Health Day.
It’s a day that is all about prioritising looking after your mental health and wellbeing and knowing how to support others.
The message this year is simply, “Look after your mental health, Australia”.
Good mental health is so important. It ensures we can cope with the stressors of daily life, participate in relationships, contribute to our community and work towards our goals.
There are many ways to look after your mental health. These 10 tips are a great place to start
- Stay active – exercise increases wellbeing and can help reduce symptoms of common mental health concerns.
- Eat well – eating a balanced and nutritious diet is fantastic for both your mental and physical health
- Connect with others – social connection is as important as ever. You can use technology to talk to friends or family but there’s nothing better than connecting in person.
- Do something you enjoy each day – engage in activities that make you feel physically and emotionally comfortable, continue to do things you enjoy as much as possible.
- Limit media consumption – try to limit your device usage and engage with content that makes you laugh and feel comfortable where possible.
- Keep to a routine – a regular routine including sleep, exercise, recreational activities and connecting with others can do wonders for your mental health.
- Get an early night – prioritise getting enough sleep each night to make you feel more energised and focused throughout the day.
- Be kind to yourself – don’t blame yourself for feeling down or unsure and understand there is no right or wrong reaction to uncertainties.
- Maintain perspective – try to view changes with openness and acceptance. Remind yourself of things you’re grateful for and things you’ve learned.
- Seek help – Talk to trusted friends, family, or your GP to help you through challenging times. There are also many online and telehealth resources available.
Learn more at- https://lookafteryourmentalhealthaustralia.org.au/