When the body is exhausted, continually digesting food or overrun with emotion and stress, we are more vulnerable to noxious substances clogging our system. A build-up of toxins in the body can lead to cell damage, fatigue, skin issues, inflammation and potentially chronic pain or disease. A detox can help to eliminate toxins in the body and improve your health.
Juice and water fasting can help to detoxify the body and enables our digestion to take some much-needed time out from the hard work of processing a normal diet. It gives our internal organs a chance to rest. The main benefit is the cleansing of the liver which in turn cleans the blood and can slow down, or possibly reverse, the process of ageing by lowering free radical damage.
When is a good time to start a detox?
• Change of season – as we enter a new season, our bodies require different things. A detox can be a great way to boost our energy so we’re better able to cope with seasonal changes.
• When you’re feeling tired and sluggish – a build-up of toxins in the body can cause fatigue, headaches, mental fog, lack of concentration and low energy. A detox can cleanse your body from toxins and help restore your energy levels.
• After overindulging – eating a lot of unhealthy foods can increase the amount of toxins in our bodies and make it hard to get back to a healthy diet. Detoxing can help rid your body of toxins and kickstart healthy eating.
When should I avoid doing a detox?
• When you feel sick – your body requires energy to eliminate toxins. When you’re feeling sick, your body is already working to defend itself against infections and viruses. As such your body won’t have the energy needed to detoxify itself.
• When you’re busy or stressed – during a detox, your body is doing deep cleansing and will require more rest. Some people also experience side effects such as headaches and muscle aches. Choosing a time where you can rest will improve your detox experience.
• When you’re following an intense exercise regime – intense exercise can cause stress to the body and hinder the detox process. You also don’t consume as many calories during a detox, meaning you have less energy to burn.
No matter when you decide to start a detox, you should ALWAYS have someone to care for you during a fast. We recommend consulting a naturopath who can support you through the entire detox process. They can also help you to establish healthy eating practices, and an appropriate exercise regime, when you have completed your detox process.