It’s a time of joy, togetherness, and indulgence. But what if you’re a vegetarian, looking for a centrepiece dish that rivals the traditional holiday feasts of ham and turkey? Fear not, for the world of vegetarian cuisine offers an array of delightful and healthy alternatives that will not only please your taste buds but also steal the spotlight on your festive table.
Try these mouth-watering vegetarian options. They’re bound to impress even the most dedicated meat lovers.
- Stuffed butternut squash: Picture a roasted butternut squash, perfectly caramelised and oozing with a stuffing of wild rice, mushrooms, cranberries, and aromatic herbs. This delightful dish not only looks stunning but also delivers a medley of flavours and textures that will leave your guests craving for more.
- Vegan Wellington: A vegetarian twist on the classic Beef Wellington, this dish features layers of mushroom duxelles, spinach, and vegan cheese encased in flaky, golden puff pastry. Slice into this masterpiece to reveal a savoury filling that mirrors the richness of a traditional holiday dish, making it a showstopper on your festive table.
- Nut roast with cranberry glaze: A nut roast is a hearty and flavourful alternative that can rival any meat dish. Packed with roasted nuts, lentils, and a blend of savoury spices, this roast is not only delicious but also offers a satisfying crunch. Top it with a luscious cranberry glaze for a touch of sweetness that complements the nutty richness.
- Vegetarian shepherd’s pie: A comforting and hearty shepherd’s pie made with a medley of vegetables, lentils, and aromatic herbs, topped with creamy mashed potatoes, can be a delightful addition to your holiday spread. The layers of flavours and textures in this dish make it a cozy and filling alternative to the traditional ham.
- Sweet potato, capsicum and asparagus salad: This colourful salad of green, red and gold is just perfect for the festive table. A lovely balanced flavour to go with the other dishes mentioned here, it offers a fresh and deliciously healthy addition to the meal. Click here for the recipe.
- Eggplant involtini: For a taste of Italian indulgence, consider eggplant involtini. Thin slices of grilled eggplant are rolled around a flavourful stuffing of ricotta cheese, spinach, and herbs, then baked to perfection in a luscious tomato sauce. This dish not only looks elegant but also offers a burst of Mediterranean flavours that will enchant your guests.
- Mushroom Wellington: Another spin on the classic Wellington, the mushroom version is a true delight for mushroom enthusiasts. A mix of sautéed wild mushrooms, garlic, and fresh herbs, encased in flaky pastry, creates a dish that’s earthy, aromatic, and undeniably satisfying.