Scents can greatly impact a person’s mood. We consider which essential oils are best for stress relief and helping us to unwind.
Aromatherapy is a holistic practice, where people inhale or smell essential oils. This practice has been shown to have many benefits for wellness and stress relief.
Essential oils can be smelled or absorbed through the skin via massage or by soaking in a bathtub. Aromatherapy is often done using:
- Aroma sticks
- Aromatic spritzers
- Body creams, oils or lotions
- Facial steamers
- Bath salts
Every person has different preferences when it comes to scents. The following are popular options for stress relief:
- Lavender: Lavender is associated with feeling calm and can have a relaxing effect on people. It contains a compound called linalool, which has been shown to lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety.
- Jasmine: Jasmine can help to soothe anxiety and is beneficial for sleeping as it can improve restlessness.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is popular for its sweet and soothing nature. It can be used to create feelings of comfort when you need help calming down.
- Lemon grass: Lemon grass is a refreshing scent that has become popular for relieving stress, anxiety and depression.
- Ylang-ylang: Ylang-ylang promotes calmness and reduces stress, making it a fantastic option for unwinding at the end of a long day. It works to boost mood by improving our body’s serotonin levels.
We hope you’re able to find the perfect scent to help you unwind.